02 August 2011

Project Project Runway - Challenge 1 - Done!

So I finished my outfit for Project Project Runway. I need to pick some accessories and style my model's hair, but otherwise, I think we can put a stamp on it, it's done!

Speaking of PPR, I thought I'd share my hints on where to get good material for doll clothes. The best place I've found is the thrift store or goodwill. They are grateful for the business, you are keeping some ugly clothes off the street, and you can find some great patterns. The military base where I work has a thrift store that is open once a week for a few hours. I went last week and discovered "sack day." $5 for whatever you could fit into one paper grocery bag. You bet I tried to clean them out. For striped doll clothes, finding a pattern in the right scale at the fabric store is often a challenge. Finding a pattern in the right scale in a men's shirt - easy. An extra step of dying it and you have a great piece of material that could make several outfit. Don't shy away from some really ugly fabrics--you never know what kind of cute outfit they can make. The material that made the striped Josefina skirt from my earlier post was hideous for everything but what I used it for.

Here is a picture of everything I purchased at the thrift store for $5:

It's hard to tell, but there are about 36 different pieces of fabric there. Some big, some small, a horrible 80s prom dress, some men's shirts... Keeping remnants and other fabrics around is great for when that creativity bug hits.

No comments:

Post a Comment