17 August 2011

Project Project Runway - Challenge 3 - DONE

So I didn't really sketch the outfit out. I kinda knew what pieces of fabric I wanted to use and the outfit basically created itself.

Here is the challenge:

Create a look for a model on stilts. It looks as if the stilts extend the models about as far at from the knee to the foot. So if you are engineering stilts for your model think about making them about 1/4 taller.
Create a look that is eye-catching, imaginative and truly larger-than-life,  but remember, the judges frowned upon “costume” looks, and responded favorably to the looks that would translate to the runway.
If you want to imitate this challenge even more, have your runway outside.
Time Limit – You have 14 hours to complete this challenge.

I guess the point of the challenge was that when fashion designers sketch, they invariably create pictures that have impossibly long legs so here was a chance for the designers to actually see those sketches come to life. Whatever, when I sketch, my sketches have normal proportions.

My stilts and material:

For the stilts, I took a used shipping box and cut it down into 8 strips. I taped the strips together to make a box and then used some extra to make the top and bottoms. I poked holes through the tops and threaded some ribbon through and tied it onto the doll's feet. She can stand on her own for short periods of time, but I also have a doll stand that can telescope to help support her. As for the material, I had been reading too many fashion magazines that were all about mixing patterns and so decided to try it.

Here is the finished look:
The top is a black and white check cotton and the bottom is a floral/paisley/something print polyester in black, white, and gray. There is a silver button that is acting as the bling. The doll's feet are right about at the level of the bling and everything lower than that is stilt. The material is a bit sheer and if you squint, you can actually see the brown boxes.
The first image is a closeup of the center of the dress so you can see how the patterns mix. I don't know if I did a good job, but it doesn't look horrid to me... The second view is a side shot that shows some of the poofiness of the dress. The final picture is what the doll would look like wearing the dress without her stilts. Pretty silly, right?

My only regret is that I didn't go a bit crazier with the stilts. I think that in the front picture, she looks awesome and almost regular height. I wish I had exaggerated it a bit more with taller stilts.

3 comments:

  1. It's gorgeous. I think the patterns mixed works. But I'm not the best person to ask about that since I mix patterns all the time and some of the results are probably hideous to everyone but me.

    Love the bling as well! I like how this dress can be worn without the stilts as well. The ruffle on the skirt is so well done.

    Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The whole stilts thing was still anyway! I think you're outfit looks great with or without the stilts so the judges would have voted you in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made the patterns work together. It's a good mesh between hard and soft.

    ReplyDelete