10 August 2011

Project Project Runway - Challenge 2 - Done!

Whew, I thought I wasn't going to make it on this one. I was just uninspired until about yesterday. The challenge rules were:

Use anything from a pet store to make your design. (If you have pet stuff at home you can use it rather than buy something.) You can use a base fabric like muslin to build your outfit on. Tim reminds us, “The judges do not respond well to looks that come out of unconventional challenges that use a lot of fabric.”

So this was the unconventional materials challenge. In the past they've taken the designers to hardware stores, party stores, etc. This time it was a pet store. Since I live in the middle of nowhere, I chose the Walmart and Dollar General pet aisles as my "pet stores."

Here are my materials:
They are Kitty Litter Box Liners in white (and smelly!), Puppy poo-poo bags in blue with little silver paws on them, and a dog tug of war rope toy in teal, pink, and mauve.

My sketch:
I was going for a 40's inspired silhouette, with vertical stripes using the litter liners and poo-poo bags and fringe at the bottom and neckline using the tug-of-war toy. I was also going to make a jacket out of the tug of war toy.

That isn't what happened. I was looking at what the designers on the show created more closely and one of them did something very similar to what I was going to do. So I had to re-plan. I tossed out the dog toy and concentrated on the plastic bags.

The reveal comes tomorrow, but let me say how happy I am it is done because whew, my fingers are tired of shoving that needle through the plastic. And any red spots on the dress are from stabbing myself with the needle. It was ouchies.

No comments:

Post a Comment