25 August 2011

Project Project Runway - Challenge 4 - Dress Nina Garcia

Whew, another Project Project Runway outfit done. I don't know how it happens, but I am always rushing at the last moment even though I try to get it all done early. Today I blame listing more stuff on ebay which kept me from doing my final finishing touches til very late.

Anyway the challenge was:

Create a look Nina can wear to work in the day and then to an industry event in the evening. She tends to wear classic with an edge, clean, stream-lined, tailored silhouettes. She does not like voluminous clothes, pleats, loud colors or loud patterns.  She does not want to see a bunch of grey garments going down the runway though.

So, basically, Nina is a picky bitch who likes what she likes and she doesn't like you. I presented my sketches to "Nina" (aka, 2 coworkers) and they chose idea 1.

The material I decided to use was muted but still had a pattern. And there was a purse I took apart to get some "leather".

Turns out my sewing machine doesn't handle leather or pleather or whatever very well. Which made it tough to sew. I got around that problem for the skirt, but for the top, I broke out the glue gun and attacked the leather with hot glue. Some details in the original sketch were left out and might get added in at a later date. I just had too much else to do to get to it.


Here is the finished look:

Overall I am pretty happy with it. The skirt does what I wanted it to with the leather ruffle and is close fitting. The top presented some fit issues but overall I think it works.


I did learn that if you get hot glue on the fabric where you don't want it, take a paintbrush and some paint thinner and dab at the spot. The glue will loosen up and come off with no damage to the fabric.

1 comment: