30 July 2011

Project Project Runway - Challenge 1 - Getting it together

The rules: You can use either the clothes your model is currently wearing OR a 10″ x 10″ square of fabric similar to your own pajamas. On top of that, you can use a handkerchief worth of white cotton or cotton-ploy blend fabric. The standard woman’s handkerchief is 10″ x 10″. You can manipulate the fabric anyway you want with dye, fabric paint, etc… You can also add things like buttons, velcro, and trims.

My changes: The organizers of the challenges use Barbie-sized models. My model is at least 3x bigger around than that, so I’ll be increasing what is allowed material wise. I am not going to go overboard, but a 10 x 10 square won’t even go halfway around my model. She is plus-sized. ;) Also, I will use my old camisole that I sometimes sleep in as my pj material. Here is what it looks like:

I won’t be using all of that white sheet, I just haven’t had a chance to cut it down yet. J

Meet my model:

She is an American Girl Just Like You #25. I’ve named her Angharad since she looks Welsh to me. She has brown hair and brown eyes. Since she is technically supposed to be a 9 or 10 year old, I had to make her some falsies to give her more of a figure. I might add some butt and hip pads later. To hold the falsies in, I took a pair of nylons and made her a three-layer body suit. I could probably use the control top part of the hose and reduce the number of layers, and I might do that later on, but this will work for now. Her measurements are 14--11--12.  So you can see a 10” x 10” handkerchief won’t even go around her waist.

The sketches:

I couldn't find my color markers and I am not sure what colors I'll end up with anyway. I'm also not sure which outfit I'll make...well, I have an idea, but I'll save the reveal for the runway. I plan on dying the sheet material—as soon as I get some dishes done and the sink is clear—and then trying to sew with the very thin netting of the camisole. I’ve never worked with material like that before and I know that it is stretchy, so we’ll see if I can pull an Anya and make it work.

No comments:

Post a Comment